Thursday, May 3, 2012

Southern Tour


       The last month and half has been quite a hectic one. After returning from Tampa, I very fortunately got loaded up with babysitting jobs and a two week secretary job with the Board of Education. This provided me with a little extra cushion for my upcoming trips and I couldn’t believe how well the timing worked out. I also sold my car which provided me with some extra cash while simultaneously snipping one more thread linking me to the material world. Though I had to depend on other people for rides, it was oddly freeing. 
On Friday March 23 I jetted down to Memphis to meet my friend from University of South Carolina, Julie. We ate BBQ, went to a dueling piano bar, and walked along the Mississippi River. She is currently studying law at Ole Miss, so we also spent some time where she lives in Oxford. Because we live so far away from each other we rarely get to spend time together, so this trip was extra exciting.
On Tuesday the 27th I caught a Greyhound to Atlanta, GA. I have a friend from high school living there so I stayed with her for two nights, checking out the ritzy area where she lives called Buckhead, and then together we drove to Charleston, SC on Friday.
Another high school friend lives there so we, along with about ten other people, crashed his apartment for the weekend. Saturday morning I ran the Cooper River Bridge Run 10k and spent the rest of the day/night hanging out in downtown Charleston, a very picturesque city. Sunday we spent the day in Myrtle Beach and I caught a ride back to MD Monday morning. 
Traveling is something I love to do and not much can stop me from doing it, but it’s infinitely easier when you know people who live in different and enticing places. One of the best parts about moving around so much is the people I meet who might unwittingly provide me with another travel opportunity or at least give me alternate ideas on where to go and how to get there. 
Roaming over four states in ten days with just my hiking backpack, seeing a ton of old friends, and making several new ones, was exhilarating and I am so glad I was able to go.


"A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles" Tim Cahill

Me and Julie in Memphis

Nikki, my Atlanta friend

high school bros


rooftop in Memphis



The Square in Oxford, Mississippi
the gang in Myrtle Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment