Tuesday, February 5, 2013

L-I-V-I-N

Whew! I have been in San Diego just about a month now and so much has transpired. I'll start with the administrative stuff. I finally moved into my apartment on February 2. Up til then I was staying at a friend's place and couch surfing. A lot of people unfamiliar with the couch surfing network find the idea of showing up at a stranger's door step and requesting a free place to sleep a little sketchy, but I've had nothing but enriching and pleasant experiences. I met several people who will continue to be good friends throughout my stay in San Diego.

I live in technically international student housing through a program called KAMO Housing (http://kamohousing.com/pacific_beach.html). It's in an area of SD called Pacific Beach, a very young and party-friendly scene. So far I love it. My roommates are Natalie, the friend I moved here with, and two Norwegian girls. I have had the privilege of living with international people before and I am ecstatic to do so again. The amount you learn about someone else's culture is entirely beyond what you could read in a book. And it's uncanny how people who grew up on opposite sides of the world could be so similar. Kinda gives me a cozy feeling.

Mandi Schmitt
3950 Ingraham Street
Apartment 13-107
San Diego, CA 92109





I also found a job! This was the most worrisome aspect of moving here. I needed to be able to support myself and I knew I didn't have enough money to last me past the first month's rent. I am a server at a restaurant called World Famous (http://worldfamouspb.com/) which is located literally next to the beach. Whenever I look at the wall of windows I see waves crashing and people enjoying the sunshine and sand. I don't have a car so I use a bike, which I bought when I got here, to get around everywhere. It's quite the work out but I really love it.

My morning commute via bike
traveling from couch surfer to couch surfer,
looking strikingly similar to the numerous
homeless people in Pacific Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment