Friday, August 26, 2011

Hunger

Last week I turned 23. My main thought/fear was that I haven't done or seen nearly enough. I put myself under tremendous pressure to do as much as possible as soon as possible. But that's just the thing... it's not possible to do everything and go everywhere. I have to continually remind myself that I have my whole life to fulfill my goals and ambitions. Yesterday I had a conversation with my friends about when our lives are going to start. But who says they haven't already started? Though my life is not orthodox, I am doing what I am passionate about, and I intend to remain loyal to my inclinations. So instead of feeling old and trapped in an unfulfilling career at 23, I am able to relate with Robbie Turner in Ian McEwan's Atonement, who is also 23 and has just finished his undergraduate education.

"He had never before felt so self-conciously young, nor experienced such appetite, such impatience for the story to begin."

No comments:

Post a Comment