Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Surrendering to India


       India and I have a very clearly divided love/hate relationship. My previous blogs have shown both the vexing and euphoric moments that manifest in my life and the sharp contrast that defines India. I live for the sights, smells, and sounds that I know only India can provide. But then the more frustrating incidents, combined with my somewhat neurotic love of efficiency and order, radically alter my feelings toward my temporary country of residence at the drop of a hat. 
With only another month to go, I am adamantly trying to release my preconceived ideas about the right way to do things or say things and convince myself that just because an action or belief is different doesn’t necessarily mean it’s wrong. Getting annoyed, angry, or disheartened about something is a waste of time, and time is scarce. This is so much easier to altruistically type than to actual believe. My latest book/obsession, Shantaram, has been opening my eyes, one chapter at a time, to how futile it is to adhere to my western mentality while living here and expect to get through one day without screaming. India has existed for over 5,000 years and will most likely not change to suit my preferences. And it shouldn’t change, because that would also mean altering the characteristics that I find irresistible. Shantaram indirectly offers advice on how to cope with the subtle nuances as well as the gaping disparities between India and my comfortable life at home.  The incentives for accepting this advice, as well as for accepting the beautiful mess that is India, are plentiful and supreme.
“Try to relax completely, and go with the experience. Just... let yourself go. 
Sometimes, in India, you have to surrender before you win.”
Shantaram, Gregory David Roberts

the antithesis of order and efficiency 
one of the many incentives - Taj Mahal in Agra

India's Gate in Delhi


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! So, I meant to introduce myself to you as per the request of your sister but forgot to do so in the last two comments thus I do so now. My name is Jegan(short version) like Regan but with a J. I work with your sister Tina and came to know about your blog and your trips! I envy you just for the fact that you love to travel and explore nature as it is. Keep it going!!!

    Oh and if I may suggest; while you are in India you should go to the movie theater and watch an Indian (hit, houseful) movie as I think it will give you a total different perspective of how Indians worship hero's and the movies.

    Secondly; if you can and do get a chance try your hand at driving in India, IT IS CRAZY!!! lol BUT BE CAREFUL!!

    ReplyDelete