Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My School


Tues Sept 13 2011
Today was my first day in my project. Another German volunteer, Nils, is working at the same school. The school is supported by an NGO, the Nisarga Foundation, but its unclear exactly how the school is being supported. The children have a few notebooks and uniforms, no text books, no tables or chairs. There are three “classrooms” but no doors so the children get up and walk wherever they want, whenever they want. Structure is a word of no importance. Nils and I were told to teach the children Kannada, the local language. Neither one of us knew that the language existed before we arrived in India, so that’s a good indication of our purpose. The kids know a few English words and really loved to sing songs with us so we did that a good part of the day. It’s nothing like I thought it would be, but I’m hoping to be able to make at least a small contribution somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment