Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hunsur


2:40 pm Monday Sept 12 2011
I am now sitting in a hotel in Hunsur with Amandine and Mariena as we soak in our new surroundings. We just met with our project coordinator, Rohan, who is an incredibly brilliant and resourceful man who I’m sure will make my transition into India much more comfortable. The past few days have been exhilarating and have given me reasons to be both resistant to and compelled by Indian life.
Saturday the whole volunteer group took an excursion to a Shiva temple, Jog Falls, and a humongous Shiva statue. I expected to go in the temple, but our group didn’t get past the main tourist attraction which was outside: an elephant. It used it’s trunk to pat you on the head in exchange for money, which you put in the tip of its trunk. The next place we went was truly spectacular. The waterfalls were mesmerizing and full of power. The pictures can never do it justice. The last place was also very impressive. A huge Shiva, a Hindu diety, looms over the surrounding city as constant reminder. (look up what Shiva is god of)
The next day, Sunday, the other volunteers got picked up by their host families. I didn’t have to catch the bus until 8:15 pm so I basically had the day to myself to relax. do some shopping, and read. The bus took a little over ten hours so I arrived in Mysore around 6:30 am, and then into Hunsur around 12:30 pm. We got the day to relax then met with Rohan and the 4 other volunteers in Hunsur. Everyone seems to be adjusting well and eager to help us with our projects. We should all be moving in together in the next week or so.


Jog Falls

Shiva Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment