Sunday, July 3, 2011

Estoy en Costa Rica!

After six months of community college Spanish and demeaning work at a restaurant, my efforts have finally paid off. I arrived in Costa Rica on Thursday and will remain here for one month. Here are a few first impressions:

1. It is a LOT rainier and colder than I expected. It was an extremely novice mistake to bring only one pair of pants.

2. Despite the warnings that black beans and rice would constitute the majority of my meals in CR, my first meal with my family was take-out Chinese food. Imagine that.

3. My Tica (Costa Rican) mother and sisters are the best. I can't imagine living with a more affectionate, helpful, and companionable family (except my own of course).

4. CR is tiny. I'll put it in perspective: The total population of CR is 4.5 million. London alone has 9 million inhabitants. Que pequeño.

5. It is surprisingly difficult to get used to throwing toilet paper in the trash can as opposed to the toilet.

6. San Jose, the capital city in which I reside, is mainly comprised of mestizos: people of both European and indigenous descent. This is why its not uncommon to see blue or green eyed people or people with very pale skin or lighter hair.

7. My Spanish is deplorable, but I'm now convinced that living in a Spanish speaking country is by far the most efficient, and interesting, way to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Toilet paper in the trash can= one of my least favorite things about traveling. But in no way hinders my nomadic desires. I also am convinced that living in a Spanish speaking country is the BEST, and yet the most challenging way to learn Spanish. Go above and beyond and really challenge yourself. You will be fluent by the time you come back! Also, I will gladly ship some pantalones to you if you need some more! :)

    ReplyDelete