Friday, June 24, 2011

A Pink House

In "The Secret Life of Bees," three sisters live together in one big house painted an obnoxious "Caribbean Pink." Halfway through the book, the oldest sister, August, who hates pink, explains to Lily that May, the youngest sister, picked out the color.

"May said it made her feel like dancing a Spanish flamenco. I thought, 'Well, this is the tackiest color I've ever seen, and we'll have half the town talking about us, but if it can lift May's heart like that, I guess she ought to live inside it.'"

Being so close to my sisters, I really enjoyed this book and the relationship the three sisters shared. This particular passage stood out to me; it made me ask myself if I could sacrifice my pride and the way people look at me in order to please my sister.

August goes on to say "You know, some things don't matter that much. Like the color of a house. How big is that in the overall scheme of life? But lifting a person's heart - now that matters."

No comments:

Post a Comment